*This post contains affiliate links
If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious quick weeknight meal look no further! You’ll love these family-friendly vegan sweet potato black bean tacos!
Taco Tuesday is a weekly tradition in our house and these black bean sweet potato tacos are on constant rotation.
With the use of your pressure cooker, these tacos are ready in under 20 minutes!
These healthy tacos are made from ingredients that you usually have on hand, so they’re easy to throw together last minute when you don’t know what else to make.
I am not a vegetarian, but do try to limit my weekly meat intake as much as possible.
My husband has somewhat reluctantly become accustomed to eating less meat, but the combination of black beans, avocado, sweet potatoes, and cheese is a win for him too!
Why Eat Less Meat?
Recent research has found many health benefits of eating less meat including the reduction of certain types of cancer, heart disease, and obesity.
Vegetarian diets are typically lower in saturated fats which helps lower your cholesterol.
Also, financially speaking, being a vegetarian is much more budget-friendly. This entire recipe can feed a family of four for approximately $10!
It does not get much more affordable than that!
Lastly, if you want to reduce your carbon footprint, a vegetarian diet is much more sustainable for our planet.
Quick Weeknight Healthy Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
These vegan tacos are so easy to prepare last minute when you don’t have a lot of time to cook or plan ahead.
If you have a pressure cooker, you can cook the sweet potatoes in 18-20 minutes based on the size and how many you are cooking.
For small to medium potatoes, I usually cook for 18 minutes, but for larger potatoes, they usually take 20 minutes.
After you start the sweet potatoes, you just sauté your bell pepper and onion and heat your black beans in a pot.
You can add sliced avocado or mash avocado up with some lime juice, red pepper flakes, and garlic for an easy guacamole recipe.
Top with cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt (if you’re not vegan) and enjoy!
You can serve with rice and salsa, or just as is. I love to save leftovers for a taco salad the next day for lunch.
Pin this for later!
Healthy Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Can low-sodium Black Beans
- 1 Medium Bell Pepper
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Tbs avocado oil
- 2 Tbs Taco Seasoning Or make your own
- 4 Medium Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Cook sweet potatoes in your pressure cooker or bake in the oven.
- Place sweet potatoes in your pressure cooker on the steaming rack.
- Program “steam” for 18-20 minutes depending on the size and quantity of sweet potatoes.
- Add 1 cup of water and seal the lid.
- Quick release the pressure when it’s finished*Note- if you bake in the oven, it will take longer than 20 minutes, so plan ahead.
Bell Pepper and Onion
- After you start your sweet potatoes, prepare the onion and bell pepper.Heat a small frying pan over medium heat
- Dice the onion and bell pepper
- Add 1 Tbs of avocado oil or olive oil
- Add the onion and bell pepper and stir occasionally.
- Cook until they are soft and fragrant (approximately 5-10 minutes)Reduce heat to low and allow them to continue cooking for a crispy, charred taste.
- In a separate pot, heat black beans over medium heat
- Add in taco seasoning or make your own.
- (My taco seasoning: 1.5 tsp Cumin, 2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, and a 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
Prepare Your Tacos
- Once the sweet potato is finished, prepare your tortillas and assemble your tacos.You can add sliced avocado or mash it up quickly and add lime juice and garlic for easy guacamole.
- Some fun mix-ins: shredded Mexican cheese (or Daiya cheese substitute for vegans), Greek Yogurt, Romaine lettuce, and your favorite hot sauce.
For more tips on preparing healthy meals during the week, check out this article on meal planning.
Also, sign up for the mailing list so you don’t miss any healthy recipes or lifestyle tips!
*Affiliate links means as an Amazon Affiliate, I earn an affiliate income/ commission from purchases made from links in this article. Thank you for your support.